When it comes to survival, food is one of the most important things to have on hand. But not just any food will do. You need food that will give you the energy and nutrients you need to survive, without taking up too much space or weighing you down. That’s where freeze dried meals come in – they are lightweight, compact, easy to store, have a long shelf life and are packed with nutrients. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of freeze dried meals and why you should have them in your survival kit.
What are freeze dried meals?
In its most basic form, freeze dried food is just food that has been frozen and then dried again. It’s a technical process that preserves the nutrients and flavour of the food and it’s the perfect way to store food for long term travel or survival situations. The process of freeze drying food reduces the amount of water in that food by around 99%, making it extremely lightweight and easy to store. The freeze drying process also preserves the nutrients in the food, so you get all the benefits of a healthy diet, without the hassle of hauling around heavy, bulky containers. Freeze dried meals are often used by explorers, campers and climbers and need a lightweight, but nutritious meal that is easy to store long term.
The benefits of freeze dried meals
- They’re lightweight and compact – Freeze dried meals are a great option for people who need to pack light. They take up little space in your bag, are easy to carry and can be robustly packed in waterproof pouches that will protect the food until you need to consume it.
- They’re easy to store – Freeze dried meals are easy to store long term. As long as you keep them in a cool, dry place and they will last for years without any refrigeration or freezing.
- They’re easy to use – Freeze dried meals are extremely easy to use. Just add water and you’ll have a meal ready in a matter of minutes. Many freeze dried meals are supplied in pouches that can be opened, water added, then consumed directly from the pouch – perfect for when you need a hearty meal on the move.
- Nutritious and tasty – The freeze drying process preserves both the flavours and the nutritional content of the food, ensuring that you’ll have quality, energy rich and nutritious food at hand when you need it most.
- They have a long shelf life – One of the best benefits of freeze dried meals is that they have a long shelf life. They don’t need to be refrigerated, so they are easy to store long term. You can keep them in your home, in your car, or in your bug out bag for many years without too much concern about expiry dates.
The best freeze dried meals for your survival kit
The best meals are those specially developed for survival scenarios, and these usually include a wide variety of meals, such as:
- Macaroni Cheese
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Potato Stew
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Pasta Bolognaise
- Scrambled Eggs with Cheese
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Beef Stew
These meals can be complemented by freeze dried vegetables and energy dense ration bars can be consumed between meals.
How to store freeze dried meals
Storing freeze dried meals is super easy. You just need to make sure that the containers are sealed tightly and kept in a cool, dry place. Ideally, you will store them in a dry, dark place, like a closet or basement. You don’t want to store freeze dried meals in the refrigerator because the moisture can damage them. You also don’t want to store them in a place that’s too hot either. For best results, you should keep freeze dried meals in the original packaging until you use them. That way, they won’t lose any of their flavour or nutrients. Once you open the package, you should transfer the food to an airtight container to make sure it stays fresh.
Freeze dried meals are the ultimate survival food. Lightweight, compact, robust, waterproof, long lasting, quick and easy to prepare, nutritious, healthy and great tasting; they are ideal for expeditions, adventures or any emergency situation.
Link text in red